We are proud to have exceptional clinical pharmacists who serve as preceptors to educate student pharmacists and pharmacy residents at Community Medical Centers. These pharmacists have taken the initiative to pursue additional certification or training to care for our patients and also to share their knowledge and expertise with students and residents. Our preceptors “give back” to the profession of pharmacy to prepare future pharmacists in caring for their patients here in the Central Valley.
|Our 2016 Apple for Excellence in Teaching Award winners are from left: Leonard Valdez, PharmD, BCPS, and Gillian Pineda, PharmD, BCPS, both located at Community Regional Medical Center. |
The teaching caliber of our clinical pharmacists is validated by the awards that our preceptors have received over the years from the UCSF Fresno Pharmacy Education Program. This year, we would like to announce that two of our pharmacists were selected for Teaching Awards by the UCSF Fresno Pharmacy Education Program by the class of 2016. I am proud to share that both Gillian and Leonard are past pharmacy co-residents in our Pharmacy Residency Program and it is rewarding to see how far they have gone in their careers so far.
Only preceptors with a UCSF WOS or paid faculty appointment are eligible for nomination for the Longs Award or an Apple.
The Longs Award is the highest teaching award given by the UCSF School of Pharmacy. For the 4th year class, one preceptor per Advanced Practice Pharmacy Experience (APPE) site is selected annually for this award. The award comes with a cash prize and includes recognition during the School's commencement ceremony in San Francisco on May 5th. Among our current APPE and senior research project preceptors, past recipients have included:
- Stephanie Holcomb PharmD, Community Medical Centers
- two-time recipient Tim Lopez, PharmD, Community Regional Medical Center
- Marisa Mendez PharmD BCPS, Community Regional Medical Center
- Nicole Lu PharmD BCPS, Community Regional Medical Center
- Amy Royston MS PharmD BCPS, Community Medical Centers
- Jennifer Trytten, PharmD BCPS, Community Medical Centers
The Apple for Excellence in Teaching Award is a School-sponsored teaching award and represents excellence in precepting during APPEs. The award includes a congratulatory letter signed by the Dean and an "Apple" which can be worn on a name badge or displayed. Among our current preceptors, past recipients have included:
- Staci Anderson, PharmD BCPS, Community Medical Center, Clovis
- Harlan Husted, PharmD BCPS, Community Regional Medical Center
- Linda Kimura, PharmD BCPS, Community Regional Medical Center - Adult Medicine Ambulatory Care Clinic
- Giovanni Lares, PharmD BCACP, Community Regional Medical Center - Adult Medicine Ambulatory Care Clinic
- George Lien, PharmD BCPS, Community Regional Medical Center
Join me in congratulating Gillian and Leonard! Alice Robbins, PharmD, BCPS
Professional Development Manager and PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Director
Community Regional Medical Center